To be — bentuk is/ am are – was dan were – being – been
To do — bentuk do/ does – did
Have — bentuk have/ has – had
II. Modal auxiliary
could (bentuk lampau dari can)
should (bentuk lampau dari shall)
would (bentuk lampau dari will)
might (bentuk lampau dari may)
had to (bentuk lampau dari must)
Bentuk modal can dipakai untuk menyatakan
1. Kesanggupan atau kemahiran seseorang
- You can see the beauty of magelang city from the Andong peak.
- Can you speak Japanese language?
- I’m afraid I can’t come to your birthday party next Sunday.
2. Minta ijin
- Can I borrow your bicycle?
- Can I come to your house?
3. Menyatakan kemungkinan
- She can be at home at night.
- He can be the winner of the competition.
- Indah could sing Javanese song when she was child. (Indah bisa menyanyikan lagu jawa saat dia masih kecil, tetapi saat sekarang tidak bisa)
- Lola couldn’t come to my birthday last night because she had to accompany her om in the hospital. ( Lola tidak bisa datang ke pesta ulang tahunku tadi malam karena dia harus menemani ibunya di rumah sakit)
- Could you help me to repair my laptop? (Bisakah kamu memperbaiki laptop saya?)
- Could you take the book for me? (Bisakah kamu mengambilkan buku itu untukku?)
- She could be very busy at that time. ( Dia mungkin sangat sibuk)
- I will go to Yogyakarta next week.
- He will come here soon.
- According to the weather report, it will be cloudy tomorrow.
- Be careful on your playing! You will hurt yourself!
- Will you go with me?
- Will you accompany me to go to the movie?
- He would go Surabaya before he got a holiday.
- Would you please help me?
2. Mita has traveled a lot. She … speak four languages now.
3. I looked everywhere my phone but I … find it.
4. I’m sorry that we … come to your party next Sunday.
5. You are speaking very quitely. I … hear you.
6. It’s cold today. I don’t think I … go out.
7. I haven’t done the shopping yet. I … do it later.
8. This smartphone is very expensive. I … buy it.
9. I feel tired. I … stay at my house all day.
10. Your bag is very heavy. I … carry it for you.
11. I am hungry. I … have something to eat.
12. Which one is correct?
It’s a nice day. I think I’ll sit in the garden
It’s a nice day. I think I sit in the garden
13. Which one is correct?
I was tired but I can’t sleep
I was tired but I couldn’t sleep
14. Anna … to the concert next saturday. She has to work.