Hai Sahabat Ahzaa, pada post kali ini akan saya bagikan soal latihan mapel Bahasa Inggris untuk menghadapi UAS/ PAS SMK semester Ganjil. Adapun lingkup materi expression dan reading mencakup pada suggestion, asking and giving opinion, invitation letter, personal letter, analytical exposition, passive voice, dll.
Untuk soal latihan sendiri terdiri dari 30 butir soal dengan komposisi soal yang mencakup materi materi diatas. Baik, langsung saja berikut Soal- soalnya,
Man : What do you think if we go to the zoo tomorrow? Woman : I think zoo is dirty place. I don’t like it. What about going to the beach? We can enjoy its breezes, sand and waves. Man : Okay. I have no any objections.
1. What do we learn from the dialogue? A. The man will go to the zoo B. The woman agrees with the man’s opinion C. The woman doesn’t want to go to the zoo D. The man doesn’t want to go to the beach
2. Where will they probably go tomorrow? A. stay at home B. go to the beach C. go to the zoo D. have a picnic
3. Andra : Would you like to go hiking this weekend? Dhani : I’m sorry I can’t. I have no money left Andra : How about fishing? The weather is nice and it’s much cheaper. Dhani : That’s a good idea. I’ll prepare my stuffs.
What is TRUE about the dialogue? A. Dhani accepts Andra’s invitation B. Hiking is cheaper than fishing C. Dhani agrees to go fishing D. Dani’s parents don’t allow him to go hiking
4. Man : Indonesia clearly is betting on a vaccine as a quick fix to the debilitating COVID-19 pandemic. What do you think? Woman : … .In my opinion, vaccination is not the only way to end the pandemic. SARS and MERS outbreaks which were also caused by a coronavirus, stopped without a vaccine.
What is the best response to the man’s question? A. I am on your side B. I don’t agree with you C. I totally agree with you D. I don’t know what to say
5. Ivan: I’m terrible at english. I don’t know what to do about it. Do you have any suggestion? Liza: ….
What is the appropriate response to say next? A.I disagree with you. B.I will take an English course if I were you C.You must be so sorrowful D.It must be difficult for you
6. Liza : You look so sad, Egy. What happened? Egi : I have a serious problem today. I have just lost my wallet. Liza : Be calm, friend, let’s look for it in the place where you lost it. Egi: I have looked for it for hours in that place but I found nothing. Do you have any ideas? Liza: …. Egi : Yeah, let’s try. I do hope it helps
What is the best response to Egi’s question? A.You had better ask to the security officer there to announce B.If I were you, I’d stop complaining that case C.I’m really thankful for what you’ve done for me D.I have no ideas, dear.
7. Anna: I didn’t have enough money to buy data packages for online learning. Elia: Why don’t you try free data packages for students? It’s free for us. You just activate your number through your provider. Don’t forget to prepare your student identity card in your activation. Anna: ….
What is the appropriate response to say next? A.I am sorry I have no phone B.Really? Okay, I’ll try it. C.I think It’s impossible D.I don’t believe in you
8. Student 1 : What do you think about cheating during an exam? Student 2 : ….
What is the appropriate response to say next? A. I think it’s good B. In my opinion it’s right C. I believe that It’s not fair D. I have no doubt that the test is too difficult to do
9. Man : Where do we have our lunch? Woman : How about having lunch at Oemah Steak? Man : … . The steak is delicious and the service is really good.
A. That’s good idea B. I don’t want to go there C. I think we should not eat there D. I’m not sure about the restaurant
10. Man 1 : What will we do on Sunday morning? Man 2 : …. go cycling? It’s been a long time since we did that activity. Man 1 : That’s a good idea. I’ll check my bike.
What is the appropriate response to say next? A. How about B. What about C. Why don’t we D. Why should I
The following text is for number 12 -13
October 2, 2020 Kanguru Raya 56 Semarang Timur
Dear Mr. Billy,
Thank you so much for taking the time to interview me for the volunteer position. I truly appreciate the opportunity. I believe this opportunity is very beneficial for improving the quality of my current personal life, as well as in the future.
lf you need more information regarding my past experiences, I would be more than happy to provide you with any information which would be helpful.
Again, thank you very much for the time you spent with me.
Sincerely, Alia Rohali
11.What is the letter about? A.Job application. B.Job opportunity. C.Experience information. D.Appointment for interview.
12.We may give conclusion that the writer is going to be accepted for the position because …. A.she had experiences B.she had been interviewed C.Mr. Billy was very kind to her D.she offered to give more information
The following text is for number 13 -16
Kenari Jaya Street 561 Semarang
September 30, 2020
Customer Service World Sports
Dear Sir or Madam:
I have recently ordered a new pair of soccer cleats (item #789123) from your website on September 20. I received the order on September 27. Unfortunately, when I opened it I saw that the cleats were used. The cleats had dirt all over it and there was a small tear in front of the part where the left toe would go. My order number is SC2096551.
To resolve the problem, I would like you to credit my account for the amount charged for my cleats, I have already went out and bought a new pair of cleats at my local sporting goods store so sending another would result in me having two pairs of the same cleats.
Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I have been a satisfied customer of your store for many years and this is the first time I have encountered a problem. If you need to contact me, you can reach me at 0895415519071.
Sincerely, Hamdi Nasra
13.What is the purpose of the letter above? A.to complain about used soccer cleats B.to give information about soccer cleats C.to describe a new pair of soccer cleats D.to order a new pair of soccer cleats
14.From the text we know that it needed ____ days to get a new pair of soccer cleats since the customer ordered. A.four B.five C.six D.seven
15.It can be inferred from the text that the customer want to solve the problem by …. A.returning him a new pair of cleats B.returning him the money charged for the cleats C.replacing him with a new pair of cleats D.ordering another pair of cleats
16.What is TRUE about the customer? A.He has never bought the goods from the store before B.It was the first time for him to order the goods C.He is never satisfied with the service D.It was the first time for him to get the problem
The following text is for number 17 -19
Recycling basically involves turning used materials that are labeled as recyclable over to your local waste facility designated in a disposal container as “recyclable” materials to be taken and reused as material for a new purpose.
When we recycle, used materials are converted into new products, reducing the need to consume natural resources. If used materials are not recycled, new products are made by extracting fresh, raw material from the Earth, through mining and forestry. Recycling helps conserve important raw materials and protects natural habitats for the future.
Recycling reduces the need for extracting (mining, quarrying and logging), refining and processing raw materials all of which create substantial air and water pollution. As recycling saves energy it also reduces greenhouse gas emissions, which helps to tackle climate change. Current UK recycling is estimated to save more than 18 million tonnes of CO2 a year – the equivalent to taking 5 million cars off the road.
Thus, we are able to conserve our nature as well as to reduce pollutant in order to save the future generations.
(adapted from www.veolia.co.uk)
17. What is the purpose of the text? A.To persuade the readers about the importance of recycling B.To tell the readers the best way to recycle C.To give information how to recycle our garbage D.To describe recycling in specific way
18. In what way does recycling conserve the wild? A.It can decrease the greenhouse gas emission. B.It can keep air and water free from pollutants. C.It can avoid the extinction of threatened animals. D.It can reduce the extracting new raw material from the Earth.
19. Current UK recycling is estimated to save more than 18 million tonnes …. The underlined word has similar meaning to …. A. counted B. expected C. approximated D. anticipated
The following text is for number 20 -23
How Important is a Politician’s Image?
The first image you give about yourself could affect a lot the way people will deal with you. You might be welcomed by them and given their support, or rejected.
Thus, the first image is a very important factor of success. If you are going to meet people in any social activity, have an interview for a job, or run for president, your first image that you give right away will play a vital role in the results.
Therefore, many politicians who want to be elected try to create good images about themselves a long time before they run for elections. Some of them hire experts and consultants, and of course, that means paying a lot of money to be taught how to behave during a TV interview, press conference, or other social activity to enhance their personal images.
Those experts believe that a good or bad image create a good or bad judgment about a person. Therefore, they even teach the candidate the way to wear his clothes, the way to talk to others depending on the occasion or the level of the audience, and even the kind of perfume to use.
An expert says to his candidate, “To get elected, you have to pay attention even to the way you walk in front of TV cameras. You must appear on the TV with the image of yourself manipulated.” These experts even teach the candidates how to smile in front of cameras.
Finally, the question that remains unanswered is, “Is the good image of the candidate worth spending so much money?”
20.Which is not true based on the text? A.Many politicians believe that good image is not crucial B.Many politicians hire experts and consultant to increase their personal images C.Experts believe that good or bad image conduct a good or bad judgment about the person D.Enhancing a good image needs a lot of money to spent
21.What is the first thing to do for many politicians to create their good images in elections? A.They do social activities B.They hire experts and consultant to teach them how to behave in front of the public C.They wear nice clothes D.They always hold press conference
22.“You must appear on the TV with the image of yourself manipulated” What is the synonym of the underlined word? A. distorted B. suggested C. recommended D. proposed
23.“Some of them hire experts and consultants, ….” What does the underlined word refer to? A.Consultants B.Experts C.Politicians D.People
The following text is for number 24 -25
Thank you for visiting my office last week to discuss employment possibilities. Our hiring committee has reviewed your resume and would like to meet with you in person. We are particularly interested in your law enforcement experience and want to discuss how you feel it might complement our plant security.
We are scheduling interviews with applicants for Monday, January 30th, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. If you are able to meet with us on that day, please call my secretary at 024- 7678948 to reserve a time. If Monday is inconvenient, feel free to make other arrangements with her. All interviews will be held in the Bima conference room on the second floor of building C. We look forward to meeting with you.
Lina Basyara Director
24. What is the text about? A.An invitation to attend meeting discussion B.A confirmation of attendance in job interview C.An agenda in discussing employment possibilities D.A request about attending job interview
25. If Mr. Andre is unable to get interview on Monday has to …. A.inform the director by phone B.meet the secretary C.appoint somebody in the office D.reschedule by calling Lina Basyara’s secretary
The following text is for number 26 -30
The number of damaged roads linking Jakarta with West Java has certainly provoked complaints from locals and road users. Take for an example, the roads in Bekasi and Tangerang, which have been the focus of the media. The poor condition of these roads not only jeopardizes road safety but also gives a squalid impression. Moreover, the condition will get worse when it rains. The roads are transformed into water pools or puddles, which can easily cause accidents if motorists are not careful. No wonder if some people question why there are so many damaged roads and why repairs do not seem to last long. The government should pay special attention to solve these problems. In my opinion, the road should be repaired using the right sort of asphalt, stones an sand. Repairs should be done carefully so that the roads can be prevented from constant damage. Otherwise, the repairs would be useless.
Taken from : Jakarta Post, 2005
26. The main reason why local and road users complain about the poor condition of roads in Jakarta is …. A.the roads become into water pools or puddles in rainy season B.there is no attention from the government about the problem C.it endangers road users when they pass into these roads D.the damaged roads are repaired by the Government carelessly so they are easily broken
27. “The government should pay special attention to these problems.” What does the underlined word refer to? A.The accidents occurred during rainy season B.The worse conditions during the rainy season C.The poor condition of the roads D.The repair of the damaged roads
28. What is the main idea of paragraph four? A.Locals and road users complain to local government about damaged roads in Jakarta B.Damaged roads endanger the road users C.The writer suggests the government to repair the damaged roads carefully D.There are some questions from people about action to repair the roads
29. Special attention … by the government to solve these problems. A. should pay B. should be paid C. should be paying D. paid
30. The poor condition of these roads not only jeopardizes road safety but also gives a squalid impression. The underlined word has similar meaning to …. A. endangers B. prospers C. pays D. meets